Rather than carry pages and pages of health advice directly on our site we recommend the following web sites which offer a comprehensive resource for information and advice on health issues, first aid, medicines etc..
Benfield Valley Healthcare Hub are not responsible for the content on these external web sites and you visit them entirely at your own risk.
Remember that all advice is intended solely for registered patients of the practice and that it should not be used a substitute for seeking advice from your GP. If in doubt book a consultation.
- NHS Choices - includes health information and self-help guides from the NHS.
- Patient UK - includes patient information leaflets, self-help groups and web directory.
- MedInfo - providing free and easy to understand medical information and advice.
- The Samaritans - confidential support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair. Telephone: 08457 90 90 90. They also offer a text-based counselling service, accessible via 07725 909090 for people who do not want to talk on the phone.
- SupportLine - confidential emotional support for children, young adults and adults.
- Embarrassing Problems - "straight-talking good advice" on a range of embarrassing problems.
- Teenage Health Freak - advice for teenagers and those who work with them by local doctors Drs Ann McPherson and Aidan Macfarlane.
- Women's Health Information - information for women and their partners regarding pregnancy choices and some common gynaecological conditions.
- Fit for Travel - Travel Health Information from the NHS.
- Kid's Health - Kid's Health from USA, for parents, kids and teens.
- Immunisations - Immunisation Information from NHS.
- Hangleton & Knoll Project - Community projects
- Sussex Interpreting Service - provide interpreting services which includes a fortnightly drop-in centre to help support people with a range of topics including housing benefit, debt advice & immigration and citizenship.
- Healthy Start Vouchers - Anyone pregnant or with a child under 4 years and in receipt of benefits (under 18 year old mothers qualify automatically) should be eligible for food vouchers and vitamins for their child.
- Carer Cards - There is a carers card that unpaid carers are eligible to apply for from the council which gives them discounts across the city to order to look after their health and wellbeing.
Specific diseases and conditions
Useful Telephone Numbers
| Age Concern|| 01273 720603|
| BICS|| 01273 545445|
| Brighton General Hospital|| 01273 696011|
|Brighton & Hove City Council Access Point||01273 295555|
|Brighton & Hove City PCT||01273 295490|
|Brighton & Hove NHS Textphone|| 01273 296333|
|HIV/AIDS Clinic||01273 664722|
| Hove Polyclinic||01273 696011|
|NHS Direct||0845 46 47|
|Registrar (births, deaths and marriages)||01273 292016|
|Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital||01273 696955|
|Royal Sussex County Hospital||01273 696955|
|Sussex Eye Hospital ||01273 606126|