We host an array of research activities, which means that you may be asked to participate in research studies. You may become involved in the studies we are participating in by:
- A doctor or nurse talking to you about the study and asking if you would consider taking part;
- Being sent information by post if we feel that you might be a suitable participant; or
- Expressing an interest in finding out more about a study. We will ask for your permission to share your name and contact details with the study team. Some studies require direct contact between participants and the team; others involve contact through our research lead or with a Primary Research Network nurse.
Participation in research is entirely voluntary and you have the rights to say ‘No’. Nobody will put pressure on you to take part in research if you do not wish to. You do not have to give us a reason if you decide not to take part in a research study. Choosing not to take part will not affect the care you receive from us.
You will always receive clear information about what taking part in a research study would involve. We will usually provide you with a patient information sheet. If you then agree to take part, the study team will explain the study to you in more detail and you will have the opportunity to ask questions about it.
Nobody from outside this Practice will be given your contact details or have access to your medical records without your prior consent. If you do agree to take part in a study, you will be asked to sign a consent form. This will clearly state which parts of your notes (if any) may be looked at for the purposes of the research.
You will not be asked to take part in a large number of studies. Most researchers are very specific about the criteria that people need to meet in order to enter their study. Usually this means that only a relatively small number of patients at the practice will be suitable for any one study.
Please contact our Research Lead Elizabeth West if you have any queries.
Become a Patient Research Ambassador - Sign up to the mailing list: http://bit.ly2pqz511
Have you taken part in a clinical study or trial? We would be grateful if you would complete an anonymous questionnaire about your experience so we can improve our service.
- What was your experience of taking part in research?
- We would like to have your views on what worked and what did not work
Please fill in our survey online: bit.ly/PRES2018
New and better treatments and services become available because people take part in our research. Find out more about research taking place in Kent, Surrey and Sussex: http://www.nihr.ac.uk/nihr-in-your-area/kent-surrey-and-sussex
Patients, carers and the public are essential to our work. You are our greatest strength and we could not do our work without your help. Thank you for giving us your time to provide essential feedback.